a. “you have gained your brother”
b. Reconciliation MUST be the heart of a spiritually motivated confrontation.
c. Retribution will get in the way of the movement of the Spirit:
- Revenge, pay back, and Justice should not be the motivation
- A spirit filled believer need only to think about the grace that covered their own sin, and recognize the humility of Christ on the Cross.
d. The goal in this is to win your brother over, not to punish them for their mistake.
- This would change much of the way disputes are handled amongst brothers
- This would breed unity and health, rather than power and prestige.
a. Phil 2:14: Do everything without grumbling or disputing.
b. Just because someone has made you angry, does not mean they have sinned against you.
c. The Church has been given the authority to act upon matters of discipline.
d. The Church is expected to handle discipline, and to do so with GRACE
e. The Church is also expected to help a fallen brother or sister to get back up!
f. Main Responsibility: Handle things with Grace
g. Examples of how not to handle it:
- Facebook, Twitter, other social media…
- The Telephone committee
- Anonymous Letter Person
a. The relationship amongst brothers and sisters in Christ should be a picture of the unity of the spirit.
b. The church should be an image of the hands and feet of Christ
c. The church should be a visual reminder of the restoration of broken souls, through our relationship with Christ; we have healthy relationships with one another.
d. Colossians 3