Matthew 15:1-20 (ESV)
Traditions and Commandments
1 Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2“Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.” 3He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 5But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” 6he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the wordof God. 7You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: 8 “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” What Defiles a Person 10And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. 14Let them alone; they are blind guides.And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” 15But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” 16And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? 18But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”
a.What is in your heart will come out of your mouth
b.What is in your heart will come out in your actions
c.What is in your heart will make itself known.
- If your form of discipleship causes you to be mean spirited, short tempered, judgmental, condescending, and anything but HUMBLE and FULL OF GRACE…You are doing it wrong!
- Let your heart shine before people…that they may see CHRIST in YOU…and respond!
- LET THE WORLD SEE CHRIST, NOT CONTRADICTION!
The Heart Matters
a.The Heart is an Amazing Organ:
- The Brain cannot last long, about 4 minutes, without the heart pumping blood
- Average Beats: 72 times a minute, 100,000 times a day, 3,600,000 times a year, 2.5 billion times during a lifetime: and started during the first month after conception!
b.Without the HEART, the Body dies: Without PROPER DOCTRINE, the church dies
- It may grow in number, but it dies spiritually
- “TEACHING AS DOCTRINE THE COMMANDS OF MEN”
- LET US NEVER…NO NOT EVER…teach the commands of MAN as the commands of GOD!
a. The Gospel
b. Legalism creeps in…Even Today (3 Classes of Legalism)
- Class One: Obey God to earn His favor and obtain salvation
- Class Two: Require believers to obey man made rules, as if they were God’s rules.
- Class Three: Obey God in order to get a blessing, or obtain God’s favor. When something goes wrong, or right, they wonder what they did to deserve it.
- Jeremiah 17:9: The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
- Proverbs 27:19: As in water face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects man.